Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Triathlon diversion + notes about swimming

The wife and I are participating in a sprint triathlon this weekend. Should be fun.

The only part I'm worried about is the swim. It's only a half-mile, but just like the 5k I did a few weeks ago, I have no idea how far that actually is because I've never swam (swum?) that far. It's the same as the 5k because I don't run and I had no idea how far 5k was and when i should/ could really push myself without blowing myself out for the finish.

So we went to the pool last night to practice technique, and what struck me was how fast the wife is in the water. She blew me away. And I think that's great, because it made me realize that we're both good at different things. Where one of us is not so good in one area, the other will pick up the slack. A triathlon training session turned into a marriage realization.

I am better at the bike, and when the wife started to bike I thought I was being helpful by providing lots of advise. Instead I was unconsciously patronizing her. Not that she didn't do the same to me. I know how to swim, just like she knew how to bike. It's just that we were trying to help the other advance as quickly as possible so that the other could keep up. I think we've both realized that we're good at some things, competent at others, and some things should just be left alone.

Anyways, the triathlon is this Sunday. I am focused on finishing with a decent time. 1/2 mile swim (~25 minutes), 10 mile bike (~25 minutes), 5k run (~25 minutes). I am aiming for 1:15. We'll see if it happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment