Friday, July 23, 2010

First Impressions

We've been here a week. So, I guess that qualifies me to provide first impressions. Here goes.

  1. People are super friendly in the South. Everywhere we've gone we've been welcomed to Auburn profusely and continously. As a northeasterner, I find this slightly disturbing because I am expecting the catch. But there may not be one.
  2. Auburn itself is a delightful, small college town. As such, all pretty much revolves around the university.
  3. The university is gorgeous.
  4. The sun is a lot stronger here than what I am used to. I also had a hard time catching my breath while working out. Indoors. Maybe it's because I haven't worked out in 2 weeks and my fitness level has dropped, but still, it's hot.
  5. Working from home is a very civilized way to work. Except that I go stir-crazy by 3 pm and have a mini-freakout. I need to resolve this.
  6. We are in the rural South. As it was put to me earlier this week, "Drive 20 miles outside of town, and you've traveled back in time 50 years." (Full disclosure, we have yet to do this.)
  7. The bbq is "chipped", not shredded or pulled. And so far its been very good.
  8. The produce, specifically, fruit, is 20 times better than up North
  9. Did I mention it was hot? Yes, I believe I did.
  10. Like Lincoln, NE., life revolves around football season.
  11. I will not be eating chittlings (or chitterlings as they are referred to in other parts of the world).
  12. I don't like my kitchen sink faucet. It's too high up and I splash water all over the place when using it. Very annoying.
  13. The summer thunderstorms are really good. They remind me of my childhood.
  14. We've found a working farm that runs a fall CSA. We've been there to pick blueberries which were ridiculously good. The lamb steaks were amazing as well. We shall be spending more of our $ there.
  15. DSL is not awful. Is it the best? No, but I can upload and download at a reasonably fast speed. So, that's good. (I still prefer cable, though)
  16. Satellite TV is a racket and I feel like I am getting raped. I was fine getting basic cable back in CT because I never watched TV.
  17. On a related note, tv antenna bunny ears have not progressed well since I was a kid. Or we live in a tv signal vacuum because we tried and failed miserably.
  18. Our house is pretty much perfect, kitchen faucet excepted. Side note: I will never not have central air again.
So, them's it. Back to work, and then back to organizing the house and putting away our stuff. Woo-Hoo!

1 comment:

  1. You say it's hot there? Hm. Wouldna guessed : )
    Remind me to check back with you toward the end of Sept when it'll still be BLAZING HOT THERE.

    ReplyDelete